Wednesday, August 25, 2010

At the Gates

This is my last post from Finland. I am currently sitting at my gate at Helsinki-Vantaa airport. It's also my first e-mail post so I don't know how good it will look.

The last few days have been very busy and a little painful. I didn't pack my stuff until yesterday when I was hanging out with my gf for the last time. Besides the stuff I took with me I also had to pack everything I left behind so my parents wouldn't be buried in heaps and heaps of clothes.

Saying goodbye to my girlfriend was really tough. Normally when you stop seeing someone your life is safe. Mine's not. It's scary. I'm anxious about getting jobs and places to sleep and getting around in Australia. It's a big place, bigger than Central Europe. And even though I've traveled a lot, I've never felt this uneasy about it. But experience does pay off. For some reason I beeped going through the metal detector and got an unpleasant groping for it. Plus my back was scanned twice, but neither really bothered or surprised me.

Yesterday I also saw my three best friends. I'm grateful for the time they were able to put aside to see me for the last time in 9 months. I'll be sending you postcards!

Goodbye to you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment