Monday, August 30, 2010

It's just begun

I finally arrived at Cairns in Northern Queensland. It was a wild and tiresome trip.

My last night in Hong Kong I met with Baabäk from Turku and we hung out for a couple of hours talking about Hong Kong, Australia and movies. It was nice to speak Finnish and to talk about something else besides movies. Baabäk will stay in Hong Kong until at least December but I had to leave to the real destination of my trip, Australia, the next morning. That night I packed my stuff and set the alarm at 9:30.

I only slept about five hours, my body still in Finnish time. I used the MTR and Airport Express to get to the airport where I ate at Burger King (again) and bought a Slam Kicks magazine. The flight from HK to Brisbane was pretty empty and even though we left in the am and arrived in the pm some people slept in their private rows of four seats. I watched a couple of movies and read the Kicks magazine and an Irving novel I've first started probably a year ago.

When I got to Brisbane I couldn't get to the Domestic Terminal for my flight in the morning so I stayed and spent the night on the International terminal's sofas. Other people were doing it too, but, unlike myself, they were sleeping. A cleaning person kept moving chairs for at least an hour and I didn't even really try to sleep. I played around with my iPhone and it almost ran out of battery before I fell asleep with less than two hours left to sleep.

I woke up before my alarm at 5:15 AM and payed 5 AUD$ for a train ride there. When I checked in I had to pay 80 AUD$ extra cause my ticket price only included carry-on baggage. The plane left a little late but that was nothing.

I initially couldn't sleep on the plane cause sleeping sitting just isn't my thing so I read the Irving some more. Being dead tired I did fall asleep but as I slept a little I stopped being dead tired and woke up easily. So I read some more.

Above Cairns there was an enormous field of clouds. So we waited our turn to land. I woke with a lot of pain in my ears which meant we were descending quickly. When we got below the clouds we almost immediately pulled back up again. Through the clouds I could see the shore and then the sea. We has overshot our landing.

Back above the clouds the captain announced we had been rerouted to Townsville 350 km back south. There we landed but the airport came so crowded that we waited in line for more gasoline and tried to approach Cairns again. This time circling led to a successful landing. We were five hours late at this point and took pretty long before the luggage came. I used a free phone at the airport and a got a free ride to a fairly priced Hostel. It's a 20 minute walk from the city center and after securing cash and food from the center I returned the bar/restaurant here. My 8 person dorm only occupies myself tonight and the hostels closer to the city are as cheap so I'll probably be moving down there after three nights. Tomorrow I'll try to get a bank account, a local phone number and maybe my first job. There's some homesickness which will surely fade if I get a passable job and it stops raining. Now it's time for showering and some peaceful sleeping.

I'll keep you posted, no worries!

No comments:

Post a Comment