Sunday, November 21, 2010

Holidae Inn

Party Time!

Tomorrow I'm finally going to Sydney for a vacation. I'll be spending most of the time with my brotherman, 2Pay, as we'll be sharing a hotel room (or two to be exact) for seven nights. Mom's also going to be there (Sydney, not the hotels) until Thursday. I'll be flying there tomorrow afternoon and back a week from Tuesday. I hope I don't annoy my brother too much...

My last three days have been quite boring so I'll share with you something that has nothing to do with me, but is really blogworhty. Rami, our Indian kitchen hand at Rochford, told Alex a couple of days ago why he's in Australia. Back home in India he started dating a girl. But this girl had an arranged marriage with someone else. Things with the girl progressed naturally like they would in the "western" world, which infuriated the "rightful" groom's family. So the groom's father paid someone to kill Rami. Fortunately he was able to escape before "the hit" and came to Australia with a student visa. Quite a story, huh?

Anyway, the last three days have been less than spectacular. Less than unspectacular. Friday was more of the same at work. But so was Saturday, and so was today because Helmut needed me outside. Okay, today was even more boring with too much walking and not enough to do since Helmut hired Vietnamese people to finish our job while we were checking if they'd done it properly. Which they mostly had.

Highlights from the past three days: I cooked my own food on Friday and ate it for lunch on the weekend. I also cooked on Saturday, planning to eat half of it today, but just as I finished Sascha came home, hungry. But it was okay, I have enough for dinner tonight. Besides, I think I've scored some big points in Sascha's book lately. I paid for Friday's KFC and cooked yesterday. Plus, since I didn't work the bar this weekend no will I next weekend he might actually "need" me back two weeks from now. For Blondie's concert!!! Also, I haven't been around him too much to get annoyed with him.

I also finished watching the Wire this week and it was the most satisfying end to a series I've ever seen. It might not be the best series in my book (In the top three with Oz and Seinfeld maybe) but without bad seasons, episodes even, and with a great finish it's right up there. I got to watch three straight episodes in the living room on Friday while Ana and Sascha were out shopping.

Lowlights include waking up in the middle of the night with difficulty of getting back to sleep and, well, getting pretty bored at work practically doing the same thing for five days straight.

Now I'm packing and doing my laundry while just enjoying life and the moment. I'm trying not to think too far ahead to December, January and February, how long I'll bare working in the same place (original plan is 11 more weeks) or how much money I can save up during those months but it's in the back of my mind all the time. I hope it stays way back there until I come back from Sydney.

I'll finish with a Working Holiday fact: I came to Australia 12 weeks ago today. Three of those weeks have been "holiday" -- One searching jobs in Cairns and two slumming in Brisbane/Melbourne -- while nine weeks have been spent working, two at Proserpine and seven at Rochford. And it seems like I'll be working even more the following five months with only approximately six more weeks of holiday planned (in Australia, three more after that naturally) unless I can lower my expenses at some point or get a better salary from my next job.

As unimportant as this post might seem to you, it was important for me to get out of the way, so I could concentrate on Holiday blogging for the next nine days. And you got a great story from a foreign culture out of it. Not a bad deal in my opinion.

Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment