Tuesday, November 23, 2010

My Name Is Luca


It's a wild life in Sydney.

Yesterday I woke up, ate breakfast and played some Super Mario Galaxy before leaving to the city and the airport. I left at 1 and my flight was at 4:30 so I had three and a half hours to get there. But what I had somehow forgotten about was that I had to actually be at the airport at 3:30. Well, after getting some lunch in the city, I checked in at 3:35 for my flight.

The flight went well. I read Superfreakonomics from take-off to landing -- okay, I did look out the window a lot -- and my ears only felt pressure during the landing. When we took off, I actually saw the shadow of the plain moving on the ground and thought that it would be kind of cool to be in that shadow for a brief second.

When we had landed and almost at the gate in Sydney airport a plane flew just above us and I saw its shadow going through us at great speed. It was quite cool.

I could see the city from the airplane window and I realized that i'd been to Sydney on one more occasion than I remembered. I did remember, of course, my first trip five years ago and my second trip two years ago. But I'd forgotten  that I'd stopped over at the airport in March of this ear on my way to New Zealand.

I took the train from the airport and when it came out of a tunnel at circular quay next to the Opera House and the Harbour Bridge I felt like I was in a movie, a painting or a dream. I just couldn't believe it was real. In the last two years I've seen pictures of Sydney, pictures I've taken, so many times that they had been bigger than my memories. That's why I think that pictures are overrated. If you have pictures of every Saturday night, what are you actually going to remember yourself? You're going to remember the picture first, not the funny thing that happened after it was taken.

Heck, if you look at these some of these pictures, they tell a lot less than a 1,000 words. Like the picture of an underwater crocodiles tells more like 500 words, 125 of which are lies.

Okay, back here. I got out of the train at Town Hall, navigated to my hotel and after I got my key, my brotherman came out of the elevator. Jumankeuta. Soon after we went to dinner with our mom at an Italian restaurant.

After dinner me and my brotherman went to have a drink at a sports bar and we talked about the NBA, The Wire, Thailand, Australia and a bunch of similar subjects.

Today we had breakfast at a wrap place across the street from the hotel. Then we headed to Darling Harbour, home of the Aquarium and the Wildlife World. We bought tickets that included entry to both as well as the Sydney Tower and Ocean World on Manly -- I didn't even know there was one.

As you might have guessed we went to the Wildlife World. There we saw a pooping koala, some feeding pythons, one f the worlds biggest crocodiles and some mice having a little too much fun in the dark.

We wound up the day with a monorail trip and some shopping. I bought a Larry Bird book, green Converses (no relation) and two seasons of Futurama. Then we had dinner with mom at a Indian restaurant in KIngs Cross. We'll see her  one more time tomorrow.

Well, that's it. I'll be back with more photos and memories of Sydney later.

G'bye! (I just made that up)

1 comment:

  1. Voih, vähän tuli ikävä Sydneyyn!

    -ankku

    ReplyDelete