Tuesday, November 30, 2010

How I Left My Brother


Kids,

Back in late 2010 when I went to Australia for nine months I spent a week with my brother in Sydney. Midway through my vacation on a Friday night we went to the Sydney Tower to see the illuminated city. I didn't get very good pictures and there were a lot of Asians but other than that it was cool.

The next day we had to change hotels so we dragged our luggage down to Travelodge Sydney after having breakfast. But our room wasn't ready so we had to find something to do.
We headed to the Botanic Gardens, where the weather was nice. We even saw some flying foxes before checking out arguably the most famous building in the world, the Sydney Opera House. We changed hotels and enjoyed the sun some more in Hyde Park. 

While reading a book I was listening to some music but my headphones were broken so I couldn't enjoy my music properly. I decided to head out to Paddy's Market to get a new cheap pair. After getting a passable pair for $15 I browsed the rest of the sellers and dreamed of the gifts I would buy for my friends and relatives before going back home.

After dinner my brother said that he'd be going out whether I'd be joining him or not. We found a sports bar called Cheers on George Street where we had some drinks and watched an NBA game. I retreated back to the hotel shortly after the game.

The weather had been very nice until Saturday and on Sunday it was raining almost all day. So we headed to inside. First we visited the Sydney Aquarium. It was actually my third visit there and I have to admit that by getting a big crocodile The Wildlife World had stolen most of the Aquarium's thunder. Where there used to be a freshwater crocodile was now a huge Great White Shark. Only it wasn't real. Not even taxidermy real. There were also a little too many people at the Aquarium so it was hard to enjoy. We didn't even get to see a platypus! I dreamed of buying myself one fluffy one at the gift store for $20 but knew I wouldn't be able to fit it in my carry-on luggage going back to Melbourne.

After the Aquarium I yearned for some fish & chips which I ordered from the foodcourt in Harbourside mall. My brotherman had some Sushi and we had some nice conversation. Then we headed to the National Maritime Museum. That visit was highlighted by a very educational shark exhibit. This time the plastic sharks didn't seem as stupid. Well worth the price of admission ($0).

On Monday we did one big walk down the Pylon Lookout at The Harbour Bridge. The admission was complimentary to all the bridge climbers and to my surprise my brother actually liked the visit even though he hadn't been very satisfied after the bridge climb. I took some photos but the weather wasn't nearly as nice as it was on Saturday or before, a fact that adequately translated into the pictures. We wound out the day by watching Arrested Development and 30 Rock on DVD back at the hotel.

Tuesday morning we had to check out of the hotel early but fortunately my brother's next hotel was only a block away and his room was ready too. We left our stuff there and went for breakfast at Subway. I'd spend six more months before returning back home from but by that time my brother would have moved to the States and it would be July of next year before we would meet again. We hung out at my brother's hotel room for a second but then I was off, back to Melbourne, back to Lilydale and back to my job at Rochford Wines.

I didn't feel very good but truth be told I hadn't felt as good in Sydney after my mom had left. I like my brother but he can be a very difficult person to be around. I'm not saying there are many people who would like to spend most of eight days with me but I know it wasn't ideal for him. And just when I'd gotten used to being quiet myself he would start talking again. Ironic, I guess.

But then I got on the train to the airport and I felt a little better. I checked in to my flight and sat down to read When The Game Was Ours by Jackie MacMullan. An hour later I got some lunch and felt better. I went through security, read my book at the gate and felt better. The flight was short and at Melbourne airport I felt even better. Then I got on my train to Lilydale in the city and kept on feeling better. I was also enjoying my book very much.

When I got to Lilydale Sascha was already there waiting to pick up Ana. I got into the car and told him I had a great trip even though I didn't feel like it when I was leaving Sydney. But in retrospect I think I did. Getting home felt even better and it had only been my home for two months. Can you imagine how good getting back to Finland felt? Well we'll get to that later.

So, my trip to Sydney had been a success and I'd spent more time with my brother since probably our teenage years. It felt good to be back at Lilydale and I was looking forward to working with a lot of nice people and to visiting Melbourne more often. Even though things were back to normal I had to admit that I missed my mom, my ex, my relatives and my friends back home. It wasn't very bad but I still wished I'd have bought that fluffy platypus to help me sleep a little better.

I also realized on that day that I was practically midway through my Rochford Wines employment. It was my 61st day since I started on the 1st of October and I planned on staying 61 more days until the 30th of January before heading to Tasmania and back to Sydney where my mom was supposed to start working in late January.

First I had two summer months, some concerts and events, Christmas and New Years to get through though.

But that's another story.

No comments:

Post a Comment